As part of her Let’s Move! initiative, the First Lady will welcome 63 local elected officials and representatives from across the country on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 to celebrate their commitment to building healthier communities.
At the event, the First Lady will commemorate Let’s Move! Cities, Towns and Counties, reaching 500 communities, resulting in nearly 80 million Americans impacted by the program. Let’s Move! Cities, Towns and Counties, led by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the National League of Cities, calls upon local elected officials to adopt long-term, sustainable and holistic approaches to addressing childhood obesity.
Each local elected official has pledged to achieve the following five goals to promote healthy living throughout the community:
1) Helping early care and education providers incorporate best practices for nutrition and physical activity
2) Displaying USDA’s MyPlate in all municipal or county venues where food is served
3) Expanding access to meal programs before, during and after the school day, and/or over summer months
4) Implementing healthy and sustainable food service guidelines that are aligned with the Dietary Guidelines for Americans
5) Increasing opportunities for physical activity