Skip to main content

Jay Carney's Last Day

Sob. Sob.  

Another press secretary has descended from the White House briefing room podium, into the welcoming arms of 'family'.

Today, White House reporters saw the last briefing - facilitated by one Mr. James "Jay" Carney, the 29th press secretary, and the second to President Obama after he replaced Robert Gibbs nearly four years ago.


President Obama and White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, aboard Air Force One, one last time.

Just as his predecessor before him, Carney told reporters how much he loved his job, and how much of a "pleasure" it was.

I could never understand how the PS could claim, at least on camera, to have have "the best job in the world", "loving every moment", and then just walk away.

How could you no longer want to talk about every issue happening in the world, every day - for an hour - to relentless, grilling, reporters who act like they're out for blood on every single issue?

Take a read at Carney's remarks given on his last day.

"So finally, I just want to say thank you to all of you here.  This has been an extraordinary experience.  And I have loved every minute of every day, even the many minutes of many days I’ve spent in this room, as I think most of you now understand and believe.  It’s always a pleasure no matter how hard it can get in here, how hot it can sometimes be and contentious it sometimes is. 

     The President, to many of us, said that of the jobs that we have here in the White House, that most of us will never be in a position to do more good for more people as we are in right now, and we should take advantage of it.  And that is something that I think we all here take to heart.  And I don’t ever expect to be in a position again to be a part of something that has at least the potential to do more good for more people, and that has been a very special thing, indeed.

     I loved my years as a reporter, but as you better than anyone else understand, reporting sometimes can be an autonomous exercise.  It’s your story, it’s your byline.  What was so different about this experience for me is that it was all about a team effort and all about a goal that had nothing to do with any individual, not even the President.  And that’s been extraordinarily gratifying to be a part of.

     What I won’t do -- although if provoked, I will later -- is go through a list of all the things, the very many good things that have been accomplished by this President, this administration in my time here that I believe represent doing a lot of good for a lot of people in this country and around the world.  But I think that record is a good one and one I’m proud of. 


     I guess with that, I’ll go to questions.  At the end, I’d like to opportunity to say thanks to my colleagues."

Carney, a former Time magazine reporter, and journalist for more than two decades, will be replaced by Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest.

While on his last flight on AF1, Carney was already being referred to as 'Josh' by one reporter who seemed like she was all too ready for Earnest to take the helm.

"Josh, can you..." , she began, to which Carney replied, "Josh?  How quickly we forget!"

Realizing her mistake, she said, " Sorry, I take it back.  Let me start again.  Jay, ..."

To be fair, Earnest has stood in for Carney during briefings aboard Air Force One, and in the briefing room.

Obviously, being groomed for his day when he officially takes the helm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Story Behind Presidents' Day

Did you know Presidents' Day isn’t just about a day off?  Originally established to honor George Washington’s birthday, it has since grown to celebrate all U.S. presidents who’ve shaped the country’s path. It’s a day to reflect on leadership, service, and the values that drive national progress. Presidents' Day dates back to 1879, when it was first recognized as a federal holiday for Washington. Later, Abraham Lincoln’s February birthday brought attention. By 1971, the Uniform Monday Holiday Act combined the days, creating the long weekend many know today—but its purpose goes far deeper. From decisions that forged independence to policies steering modern challenges, U.S. presidents have helped shape history. It's a moment to appreciate lessons in courage, responsibility, and the impact of strong leadership on society today. How do you celebrate Presidents' Day?  Is it by learning about the leaders who influenced American history? Do you read their biographies, visit ...

Government job loss under the Trump administration, since 2016. Are you at risk in 2025?

Under President Trump's first term in office, America experienced job declines. Data from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) suggests that the total number of federal employees decreased by approximately 1.3% from 2016 to 2020, resulting in a loss of approximately 18,000 government positions. This decline was achieved largely through attrition, as the administration emphasized not filling vacancies rather than implementing widespread layoffs.   Also: What about social security?  Trump has sad that he does not plan to change social security, however, one case shows how a senior experienced   difficulty getting their due benefits .  Job Losses in Government Agencies since 2016. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) The EPA faced significant cuts under the Trump administration, with staffing levels dropping from approximately 15,000 employees in 2016 to about 14,000 by 2020 citing budget cuts and decreasing regulatory enforcement practices.  Department of Ed...